Friday, April 24, 2009

Biofreeze reviewed

To start off this blog, I thought I would write about a product that is very popular with my patients called Biofreeze. Biofreeze is a pain relieving gel that is applied topically to areas where pain is being experienced. I have found that when used, it gives relief for approximately two to four hours. It can be used multiple times throughout the day. The types of conditions that my patients have used Biofreeze for include:

  • Diabetic neuropathy

  • Arthritic pain

  • Muscle pain

  • Relief from itching caused by dermatitis, poison ivy, etc.

  • Heel pain (plantar fasciitis)

Biofreeze works by utilizing cold therapy. This temporarily numbs the pain sensation patients are experiencing. the active ingredient is a South American herb called ILEX.


I am quick to inform patients that this is not a product that will cure their problems. Instead, it is used to help relieve symptoms so that normal activities can be resumed. This is very useful in allowing people to get back to their normal lives while treatment for their condition is ongoing. A frequent question I am asked about Biofreeze is how often it can be used. Biofreeze can be used as often as needed - usuall up to four to five times a day. I have found it most useful to use before going to bed, especially for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Using Biofreeze at this time helps to calm down the neurpathic pain and allow patients to get to sleep.


Biofeeze is available in a gel, roll on and spray, and is available mainly through doctor's offices. I will typically give patients a few samples of the product to see if it works for them. If they are satisfied, they are welcome to purchase it at a later date. In my opinion, this is a product worth giving a try!

5 comments:

  1. If this is helpful in curing peripheral diabetic neuropathy on a regular basis then it could be used on a large scale. Great invention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend anyone suffering from peripheral diabetic neuropathy give this a try. However, I must again state, Biofreeze will not reverse or cure the condition. It may help control the symptoms.

      Delete
  2. If this is helpful in curing peripheral neuropathy treatments on a regular basis then it could be used on a large scale. Great invention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by error, while I was researching on google for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you found my blogs useful. I welcome any suggestions for future topics!

      Delete